Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thinking that helps

Years ago, when I joined the gym, they suggested I read, "If not dieting, then what?" by Rick Kausman, a medical doctor. It was a good read, from memory. I read it in about 2002 so my memory of it is not perfect. 

I remember that he had a really helpful saying in it. It went something like, "I can eat it if I want to, but do I really want to?" I only remembered this saying, recently. I wish I could remember exactly how it goes but it was something like that. [Added a few hours later: I contacted Rick by email and he told me that it's: "I can have it if I want it, but do I really feel like it?"]

It's helpful because you are not really being deprived of sugar, or fructose. It's all around you. You can eat it if you really want to. It's just that you are choosing the better way. You are now choosing to pass such foods for a higher good.

It's actually liberating to think like that. It helps me. Yesterday, I went to Mainly Music and there was a lemon meringue pie slice thingy. It looked delicious. Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourite desserts. However, I thought to myself, "Yes, I COULD eat it but it wouldn't help me in any way" so was able to resist. The thought that I could've eaten it if I really wanted to, was kind of comforting. I'm not being deprived of such food - I am choosing to not eat it. I am in control!

If you are on a sugar awareness journey and want me to pray for you, let me know. Your prayers for me would be appreciated also.

[Rick's website is http://www.ifnotdieting.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_home.asp
and it is very helpful, in many ways. His book is still available in shops and the local library. Well, it is still in mine as I checked today. I remember finding Rick's book, when I read it in 2002, very interesting. He broke food up into better categories than just 'good' and 'bad' food. Rather he'd say, 'Everyday' food or 'sometimes' food etc This is far more sensible!]

No comments:

Post a Comment