Friday, March 11, 2011

Habits and crumpets

This morning, we had crumpets. Usually I have these, buttered, with honey as the honey dribbles down into those holes and is just delicious. However, can't have honey! The boys had it on theirs. Stew and I had...wait for it...mashed avocado on it. Much as I love avocado, it just wasn't the same. Crumpets are usually sweet - ie. honey - affairs!

Older son thinks we should all still eat honey because it's so good for you. We don't get the watered down, processed stuff at the supermarket. We get ours from a supplier and buy it either directly from his house or at a market he goes to. Yellow box - yum!

I think I've said it in this blog before but Gillespie says, about honey, this: "Honey is often sold as the 'natural alternative' (although it's not clear what it's an alternative to). But it doesn't matter if honey has been hand-farmed by your neighbour's grandad, it's still likely to be in the 80 per cent range for total sugars (and 40 per cent for fructose.) p. 121 Quit Plan
Our honey was up in the 80s for % of sugar, so he's right! He suggests glucose syrup, if you want something similar but without fructose.

I may ask Gillespie about honey. All of us, in our family, love honey so wonder about the health benefits. These benefits probably don't outweigh the damage done to your body, by fructose, so I guess that Gillespie would say it's not worth it. {Have I answered my own question! LOL}

Habits are hard. Sometimes, I'm not hungry, but just feel like something to eat. I may just feel like eating popcorn or chips or something. I'm OK, with not wanting to eat chocolate and sweets, like ice cream, most of the time now, but sometimes, I want to eat for other reasons. Boredom? Habit? Shared activity with others?

If you eat more than you can burn up, you will not lose weight or...worse...you'll gain weight! So, I must be careful.

Gillespie covers what to do about habits, when in withdrawal, but what about when you're through that and still sometimes want to eat for reasons other than hunger? I must work out strategies for those times too...

Stew wants me to hurry up and finish this so we can walk up the 1000 steps. Me, I'll just walk to the first step as the preliminary hill is a big killer. I'll see how I'll go. Haven't actually walked up the steps since 2009, when I was pregnant with second youngest, as it got my heartrate up too high. He is fit! I am not! Will see how I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment