Sunday, March 20, 2011

Breastfeeding does NOT help!

[Warning! This post includes tasteful breastfeeding photos. Why? Because it fits in with the topic and is also thumbing the nose at Facebook, who won't let you put up breastfeeding photos. Honestly, you can see more at the beach so what's the fuss...!!!]

I am currently breastfeeding my 23mth old and my 10mth old (8 months corrected as she was premature). You'd think this would help with losing weight, wouldn't you! Yet, my body must just use every calorie very well, as Gillespie talks about, as the weight doesn't melt away. I stay the same weight. I think my body hoards all the calories it can and just won't burn up any fat stores, if it can at all help it.
Daughter 2 feeding, 3 months old, 2009
 I'm one of those people who would last well in a famine. Lots of fat stores. My hubby is tall, lean and athletic. He would not last well. If we lived in a famine, I'd be glad of my shape but...as we don't...I tend to bemoan it.
There was a mum breastfeeding twins in the Special Care Nursery where my youngest spent over 7 weeks. She was thin to begin with, she told me, and I believe her as she was that body type. Feeding the twins, her pregnancy weight gain just fell off and she was soooo skinny. Seems to me, if you're thin to begin with, b'feeding just makes you thinner. If you're overweight, to begin with, it just seems to leave you the same.
 
Oh, the joys of having this kind of metabolism! My hubby can burn off food so easily. He used to eat heaps when he worked at McD, as a younger man, but would not gain weight.

Daughter 3, 9 1/2 weeks prem, feeding at 5 days old
Still, this is no excuse to be a pig and eat whatever I like. I can't just say, "Oh well, it's my metabolism!" I have to do the best with what I've got!

1 comment:

  1. I like that comment at the start - " thumbing the nose at Facebook, who won't let you put up breastfeeding photos"!

    ReplyDelete