Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sugar message is not new!

I love Gillespie's books, as you will know by now. They have changed my life and I think he's brave to take on getting out such a contentious message. We sure love our sugar and, as he says in his books, the sugar industry is powerful and expensive to us, as tax-payers. As he says at the end of the first book:
"Selling fructose makes you rich, so there are many very well-heeled groups and corporations who will not like the message in this book, and I expect the attacks will come from all quarters. But we now know enough about the chemistry of the human body to be absolutely certain that fructose is a killer of epidemic proportions, and any amount of muddying of the waters by the vested interests should be treated in very much the same way as those of the tobacco industry were. Let the food fight begin!"

I don't agree with every single little thing he says though. I was taught evolution in school but it failed to convince me. I am a Creationist who believes that God created the world in 6 days and was a tad insulted that he assumes that we all believe in evolution by just referring to us 'evolving' this or that way. However, I will not throw out the baby with the bath water and write him off by his incorrect assumption that evolution is fact. He is a hard-working father with an important message to get out. Good on him! I don't mind him charging to join the "How much sugar" website. The Bible says that a worker deserves their wages and he has gone to all this trouble to help us easily find out about sugar so I don't see a problem with it.
http://www.howmuchsugar.com/

Am currently cleaning out my filing cabinet. Found an article written about 2001 which was all about how harmful sugar is, how it's addictive etc   In my book, "7 ways to build a better you", written in 1999 by Sheri Rose Shepherd, I found this:
"Sugar is a drug. If you don't believe me, try to quit for a day. Try to go one day, two days. You literally go through withdrawals just like a drug addict does. You just can't help but think about it. You have to have it - until it gets out of your system.
Recently, a study was done in a mental hospital that showed drastic results. The doctors changed the diet of the patients and took them off all white sugar and all white flour. 80% of the patients completely recovered from their mental illness. How many women are running around right now feeling completely out of control, exhausted, depressed, overwhelmed, anxious, sick and drained?"

Again, good on Gillespie for writing an Australian book to get this critical message out. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment