Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My exercise plans and hunger status

Following on from yesterday, I learnt that my main goal of exercise should not be to lose weight. Anyway, I am unable to put in hours at a gym, due to family needs at present. I am breastfeeding my two youngest babies - which is full on - so just cannot get there.

Essentially, I don't need to exercise in order to lose my excess weight. If I don't eat added fructose, I can hope to gradually burn into my fat stores if I don't go crazy on portions, fat etc

I love to walk and I live in such a pretty area, at the foothills of mountains. There are lovely views all around us. Hence, I plan to walk. I have a double stroller for the babies so can walk here and there.

Today, I walked to playgroup and back, pushing both girls. Yesterday, I got to ABA (Australian Breastfeeding Association) early and walked for 20mins, in the streets around it, before  the coffee morning started. On Monday, I took the single child 3-wheeler pram out, with the youngest, for a 30mins walk around here.

My husband goes up the 1000 steps, not far from here. I used to do it when fitter. However, I've had 2 caesareans in the last 2 years so am taking it slowly. Those steps are a killer, even when I was very fit. I hate them but love them at the same time. I may go with him but just walk to the bottom of the first step and then back down again. The hills up to there will still push me hard. When I was pregnant, I had the heart rate monitor on and just getting to the bottom step, I was already nearly at the maximum heart rate allowed for a pregnant person. Hardly up the stairs at all, and I was exceeding that maximum. Like I say, those steps are killers! [Thankfully, there's not actually 1000 of them. My youngest son set out to count them but lost count! I've heard it's less though, by those who would know]

Exercise makes you feel good so I want to do it for the fresh air, the baby girls to get to see the sights/sounds, Vitamin D etc It's a blessing to be able to move and enjoy walks. I listed many of the benefits of exercise yesterday.

One day, I'd like to do weights again. I miss the equipment at the gym and I miss weights, in general. The toned muscles they create. I do have some home weights here so should try and do some. However, one step at a time...

Am I as hungry these days? No way! I'm definitely getting used to eating less, especially sweet foods, packed with glucose. If I find myself thirsting for a nice, cold soft drink, it means I'm thirsty and I have water or herbal teas. My appetite control switch seems to be working and I'm feeling much more full than before.

Being a woman, I even made it through the PMS time OK, when I'd normally just HAVE to have chocolate. My daughter, aged 17, says I should remove from the fridge the magnet my sister gave me - 'I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter' - but I keep it there to remind myself how far I've come...

No comments:

Post a Comment