Saturday, February 12, 2011

OK, I've gone too far/Nature of addiction

Well, I have got through a lot of the stuff on my list, plus some other stuff the boys just knew I had to eat before I start tomorrow (!), that I shared with the boys, Brooke (if she's here) and Stew (a little) To be honest, Stew thinks I have gone way overboard and may have done damage to my body this week. I feel like that guy in 'SuperSizeMe' who shows his girlfriend, doctor etc worrying about what it's doing to his body.

I guess, in a way, I wanted to be sick of sugar. Totally over it. I am. Still, I agree it will make the withdrawal harder. Stewart is so right that I have gone too far. With me, it does seem to be all or nothing, sometimes! This is not what Gillespie would've intended!!!

Gillespie says that Step 1 in breaking the addiction is:
"1) Have the right attitude. If you treat this as an exercise in deprivation, you will never succeed. You are ridding yourself of a dangerous toxin..."
He goes on to say, "Addiction is not about enjoyment. Addiction is about compulsion...Addiction is not a choice we make. People don't choose to keep doing something that will kill them...food manufacturers are quite happy to ensure that we get our sugar fix in just about everything we eat...It couldn't be easier.
Make no mistake: the task you are about to undertake will not be easy, but it is not an exercise in willpower...diets that require willpower just don't work...You cannot overcome an addiction by feeling like you are depriving yourself of something. The nature of addiciton is that it makes you feel deprived...If you add to that by consciously feeling deprived, then you are in fact feeding the addiction. A diet that asks you to exercise willpower is doomed to fail because it tells you to feel deprived every minute you do not have access to sugar.
YOU ARE CHEMICALLY ADDICTED TO A SUBSTANCE IN THE FOOD SUPPLY CALLED FRUCTOSE. AND UNTIL YOU TREAT THAT ADDICTION AS THE POWERFUL BIOCHEMICAL FORCE THAT IT IS, YOU WILL NEVER LOSEN ITS GRIP"

No comments:

Post a Comment