Monday, February 14, 2011

How will I cope without honey?

In Proverbs Chapter 26, it says: "Do you like honey? Don't eat too much, or it will make you sick" and "It's not good to eat too much honey"

My son Adam keeps saying, "But honey is good for you. This author can't be against honey, can he!". However, Gillespie states on page 120 that, "Honey is often sold as the 'natural alternative' (although it's not clear what it's an alternative to). But it doesn't matter if honey has been hand-farmed by your neighbour's grandad, it's still likely to be in the 80 per cent range for total sugars (and 40 per cent for fructose).

Oh dear! I love honey. Since last year, when I lost my voice several times, nearly every single day - unless we run outta lemons as our tree is too newly planted to give us any yet - I have hot water,with 1/2 lemon squeezed in and a half teaspoon of honey. Hot water with just lemon is not as nice. I had it like that today. Blah! However, it was kind of bearable. Some days, even with the honey in, the lemon tastes sooo strong!

When I have Vita Brits or Porridge, I usually put a tablespoon of honey on, as the only sweetener. Don't want to eat these foods without honey, I think. You can have glucose syrup on them once you're over your addiction. We'll have to see. Really limits my breakfasts, though. I wonder if a little honey would be that bad.

I also love honey on pancakes and crumpets but we don't have them too often.

Have I mentioned that my favourite sandwich spread is peanut butter and honey!  Ahhhhhh!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment