Friday, February 25, 2011

Avocados - I think I'm in love!

Not trying to replace one addiction with another but avocados are increasingly becoming something I love to death. I think about them, sometimes, and crave their yumminess. Sad, huh, but this is from somebody who used to think about chocolate and crave it, at random times during the day, so this is probably a good thing???!!!

Never used to like them. Until about 5 years ago, I'd tell you that I didn't eat them at all. Then, sushi changed my mind as it's often with the chicken and is so nice. Slowly, I started to try them in things and liked them more and more though I only ever ate them out somewhere and never cooked them myself. A few months back, we bought one and had it in our burritos. Yum! My sister has told me how to know if they're ripe or not, which is handy. Got some hints off friends on FB.

They are often called super foods for their good qualities. Gillespie says, "Clearly, you can't go past an avocado on either the fruit or the vegetable graph. It has practically no fructose and a vast amount of fibre per serve." (p.111, quit plan) Because he says, on page 121, "Fresh avocado smeared on toast is a delicious spread, and you can liven it up with a little salt, pepper and maybe even a squeeze of lemon", I have tried this and loved it. He also says, "As spreads go, it doesn't come any better than avocado" but admits it would be too expensive for the whole family to have it. He has 6 kids and I have 5, so I understand!

Stew had only had avocado in the burritos a while back and in sandwiches, in the last week or so. Whilst he liked it, he couldn't quite see why I was raving about it. Today, I gave him 2 slices of toast smeared with fresh avocado. No salt, pepper or lemon - just smeared avocado. He said it was absolutely delicious and can understand why I like it so much. [Well, nearly as much, as he's more reserved than me! LOL] I've also tried it with salt, pepper, lemon - as suggested - and it was nice, but just on its own is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. My wife Jen makes an amazing guacamoli with smushed avocado, garlic and a little lemon juice. Slightly chunky and totally fantastic. I can almost eat it on its own.

    ReplyDelete