Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yesterday's folly

Began this on Feb 14th and had had no chocolate or sweet food until yesterday. Remember I said that I was thinking of having chocolate or very sugary treat at Easter (Mar/April), my B'day (August) and Christmas, which nicely spaces it about every 4 months? I also mentioned that I bought a Darrell Lea nougat filled, chocolate coated egg, which has about 90gms sugar in it in the 150gms therein.


After losing the 6kg, I do feel I'm looking a little slimmer than before but it may be wishful thinking. This was taken on 13th April, last week on our Goolwa holiday in South Australia
 Well, in all of my wisdom (!), I decided to eat it yestderday morning, for breakfast. I'd been debating whether to eat it all in one go, and get it done with, or over a few days. I'd feared that over a few days, may get me addicted again. The first half was delicious. I particularly enjoyed the first few bites. I started to feel a bit sick/tummy pain once I'd got through half. Got worse, as I munched my way through the rest of it and I felt quite sick in the tummy afterwards. Then, a nasty headache started. Much worse headache than anything when going through withdrawal. The rest of the day I was sensible with what I ate. It really was horrible, the effects on my body. Another headache came at night but I'm not sure if it's related.

Reminded me of my hubby's experience with chocolate. He would eat it occasionally but found himself eating it more just to 'save Fiona's hips', as he'd say because he if ate some, there was less for me! Basically, it was USUALLY my fault if he ate chocolate as I'd buy it and give him some. Anyway, some people give up chocolate or other things for Lent. A few years ago, he did his own version of that. From New Year's Day, until my daughter's birthday on Feb 10, he'd eat no chocolate. He did that for a few years. Whenever he began to eat it again, he'd get horrible headaches and would often feel sick in the tummy.

So, I'm not sure whether to stick with my plan of eating some at the three times, per year. If one is going to feel like that afterwards perhaps it's better not to!!!


10th April, 2011, last week's holiday in Goolwa, South Australia. I DO feel the the loss of the 6kg so far has made my face a bit slimmer. I know this photo is looking down at me, so you can't see the double chin thing happening but still, my cheeks do feel and look a bit better to me... Again, wishful thinking???

My daughter works at Baker's Delight and she's been bringing home Hot Cross Buns. The boys have been eating them. She then brought home ones without fruit so that she, Stew and I could eat them. (She's doing the Sweet Poison thing herself, which is not easy, when you're a teenager.) However, AFTER I'd eaten some, buttered, she tells me that the sugar per 100g is about 8gms, which we decided is too high so I told her not to bring me home anymore. Sob Sob, Easter is losing it's lustre, on the food side of things. Thank goodness, it's more about the redeeming sacrifice on the cross undertaken by Jesus than Bunnies, chocolate eggs, Hot Cross Buns etc

3 comments:

  1. Your chocolate egg experience is the same as what my husband experienced on Tuesday night after Passover (the charoset is really, really sweet, and there's LOTS of grape juice you have to drink at certain times). He got stomach pains, and a bad, bad headache.

    Have you tried cooking with the Dextrose? I just made ANZACs with it last night (as a camping weekend treat), and while they take a little bit of getting use to, they're still great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not yet. The 'Sweet Poison Quit Plan' by the Aussie David Gillespie has many recipes in it, with dextrose and so forth, but I've only made one recipe out of the whole book. The "Phillips Family Muesli", and we adore it.
    Not really a biscuit or cake maker, alas. They sound yummy though, those Anzacs. Love to eat them but not make them!
    Your poor hubby. The tummy and headache after the Passover sound horrible.
    When we have communion at church, it's grape juice but it's in such a tiny little individual cup. Anyway, there are strong religious reasons to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chin looks fine but what about poor Anna's

    ReplyDelete