Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Holiday happenings, thus far

Here we are on holidays in South Australia. Goolwa, to be precise. The resort we are at has a Pancake Breakfast get-together on Mondays. I looked at the description that said, “Try them with Dianne’s famous strawberries in syrup, maple syrup, cream [probably made with sugar], jam, apple and cinnamon or plain...fruit juices” etc and read it out to Stew. Then I said to him, “Let’s just let the boys have it as there’s nothing we can have. All too fructose-y!!!” The next day, when I repeated that before I went over to the reception area, he said, “Remember, it said fresh strawberries so we can eat it.” I’m like, “Oh, I thought it didn’t have anything we can have. Are you sure?” He was sure I’d said that so we went and booked in. When we got to the breakfast, it was NOT fresh strawberries at all but in syrup made with  sugar in the syrup. [I know because I asked.] There was really nothing I could eat so they refunded me. Was a bit cross at Stew as I’d told him that I didn’t think there was anything we could eat however I think that he heard what he wanted to hear as he so wanted it to be fresh strawberries. We were both very disappointed! The lady behind me in the queue, when I was checking out all the sugary stuff, said, “Oh, yum”, in an addicted trance when she saw it all. Came back to the rooms and ate plain yogurt, pear and cinnamon instead.
I’ve always wanted to go berry picking so we went to this Berry picking farm called Beerenberg Strawberry Farm. (Well, I think that was the name). I’ve never had the chance to do this before and it lived up to the expectations. I adore strawberries and picked the absolute best ones which were so delicious and tasty. I knew I would be overdosing on fructose so was in a quandary. Stew and I decided that as ‘party food is for parties’, then perhaps this special occasion would be OK? We rarely go to parties, these days. We also didn’t go on a holiday at all last year, due to having a 9 ½ week prem baby, and this is our first one this year. Holidays aren’t common so maybe it’d be OK? I know I’m not dieting and don’t have to answer to anybody but it’s my own health that I’m robbing if I eat too much fructose so I need to be sensible and not do this often.
All the tourist shops here stock just one fructose-y thing after another. I’m so sick of it. Do they think that that is all that everybody eats!!!! Hardly ever anything one can eat if they are avoiding fructose. OK, so I used to love to eat it too, but I’ve seen the light. Society sure is sugar-addicted and is sooo in need of Gillespie’s message.

No comments:

Post a Comment