Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cold kills hunger

Woke up with a nasty cold yesterday. So, it has made me far less hungry. Totally skipped breakfast today. Just had lunch and dinner, and a little arvo tea. I have to be careful with fasting as I don't want my body to release the toxins, from fasting, into my breastmilk for the babies. From my limited understanding of science, that is what happens in fasting so they don't suggest that breastfeeding mums do it.

Weighed myself this morning and it said 75.9kg. Went back to sleep for a couple of hours, after breastfeeding the girls, as I feel so sick, and then weighed myself again. It said 75.3kg. Are my new scales dodgy or what? Why would there be that difference? Does sleeping make you lose weight that quickly? I'm not sure what to think.

Next 20 reasons why sugar is bad for you, so we're up to 120:
  1. Sugar can cut off oxygen to the brain when given to people intravenously.
  2. Sugar is a risk factor for lung cancer.
  3. Sugar increases the risk of polio.
  4. Sugar can cause epileptic seizures.
  5. Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure (pressure when heart is contracting)
  6. Sugar can induce cell death.
  7. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.
  8. Sugar can cause antisocial behaviour in juvenile delinquents.
  9. Sugar can lead to prostate cancer.
  10. Sugar dehydrates newborns.
  11. Sugar can cause women to give birth to babies with low birth weight.
  12. Sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia.
  13. Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the bloodstream.
  14. Sugar increases the risk of breast cancer.
  15. Sugar is a risk factor in small intestine cancer.
  16. Sugar can cause laryngeal cancer.
  17. Sugar induces salt and water retention.
  18. Sugar can contribute to mild memory loss.
  19. Sugar water, when given to children shortly after birth, results in those children preferring sugar water to regular water throughout childhood.
  20. Sugar causes constipation.
Number 2 is awful. So, poor smokers (some people were hooked before we knew the health dangers) with a sweet tooth, have less chance! Poor epileptics also. (No. 4) Although all of these are shocking in their own way, I am indignant at numbers 10 and 19, especially. I am a big fan of breastfeeding and think babies should be only breastfed after birth, if at all possible. None of this giving them sugar water. They used to routinely do that after birth, to give the mother a rest and thinking that the baby needed it. Huh! How do they think that babies survived before they thought of that! As for sugar causing constipation (no. 20), I think I would have to agree with that. Rarely touched by that these sugar aware days. Yay! Not that I had a problem with that but I think we've all been touched by it, at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment