Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Survived bread fast

I did a 10 day bread fast. Well, it turned out being 11 days, but it officially wasn't meant to be. It was for religious/faith reasons in that I was doing it to honour God/seek His will and not to lose weight. [I can't fast the usual way as I'm breastfeeding and don't watch TV so can't do a TV fast etc A religious fast has to mean something to you and I love bread so that's why I chose it.] My sister told me I'd probably lose weight anyway but I tried not to focus on that.

Interestingly, it just stayed the same at first. Then, it got less but super slowly. [The weight , even before the bread fast, seemed to hover around 73.5 to just over 74 for ages, like a few weeks etc. Grrr!]

Anyway, to not eat bread for lunch, I frequently had that protein salad I mentioned in my last blog - small tin tuna, 2 chopped boiled eggs, whole egg mayo, chopped celery/capsicum/carrot etc It was very nice and very filling. Protein really does fill you up. A glass of milk, here and there. Handfuls of nuts and seeds etc

Today, the scale said 73.1kg so it's pretty much now 10kg, as I was 83kg when I started. That last kg went very ssssslllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyy!!!! I know I need to cut portions to be smaller but we've had sick kids and lots of stress so I do what I can. My child health nurse told me that I look like I've lost lots of weight and appear more energetic.

The bread thing taught me a lot. I eat way too much bread sometimes, what with my daughter's job at Baker's Delight and all. However, I DID survive without it. I love bread so much that I didn't think it'd be possible. It's so yummy. Making the baby girls' lunches every day, out of bread, was hard! Also, it was my absolutely favourite bread twice last week. Oh dear! Those days were very hard. I now know that I can live without bread and the fast may have helped me cut down heaps. I hope, anyway. I want to eat it far less, overall. I was convicted of my greed for bread.

When I knew I wouldn't have time to make the tuna salad for lunch, I ate plain yogurt, diced pear & cinnamon etc for breakfast so I could have Sweet Poison muesli for lunch. Or things like that. Once, hubby made me some scrambled eggs with tuna and avocado.

Last week, I went to visit the Special Care Nursery where the baby spent 7 weeks and 1 day last year. One of the nurses said she thought I looked taller/slimmer when I told her that I'd lost 10kg. I had to laugh at the 'taller'. I wish!!! I still have about 10kg to go so it's looking like a long haul. However, I didn't go into this as a crash diet thing then move on so I'm going to keep on keeping on.

Had a dream last night that I ate some chocolate! Knew it was wrong but still did it. Was disappointed that I couldn't taste it. Now, I know why. It was just a dream!!! Mind you, I do sometimes think longingly of my b'day on Aug 9th and think how I'll eat some poisonous food then. That's my next allowed time. Pretty sick, huh!

Anybody reading this blog, please tell me if you do the 'party food is for parties' thing? I haven't, thus far, and have just avoided it all. I was scared to get re-addicted. When people say to me, "Oh, so you're never gonna have sugary food again?", I say, "Well, once I've lost all my weight, I may have some every few months or something. I haven't decided yet."

Saint Stewart would disagree with that. He is sooo good, on the whole. He's like, "Why eat something that gives you a headache and is poison etc" Mind you, it's only been chocolate that gives me headache, since I started this. When we've had the odd honey crumpet - my few sins, I confess - I've not got a headache.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    We've been doing the 'party food is for parties' thing, and I have to say that it hasn't really been a very positive thing for me personally, as I still have a huge emotional attachment to sugar (in the specific form of chocolate and cake). So we had cupcakes for my daughter's birthday and instead of just eating them at the party, I ate them in the entire week afterwards. Then for my birthday, I decided it was very ok to scoff birthday chocolates and cake and a milkshake for good measure. I have felt so ill after both of these blow-outs that I am now refraining from party food even at parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your answer. My hubby and I read it with much interest. I really appreciate your honesty and apologise for taking so long to reply. Babies have been sick for a few weeks - gastroenteritis and then cold/cough/wheeze etc

    You are making me concerned because my birthday is coming. Will I have the same reaction that you have had? Aaaarrrggghhh! Am hanging out to do something though. Hope I don't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the Winter Ills - commiserations. We too have been plagued by illness over the last few months. It is exhausting, especially with little ones.

    You may not be as emotionally attached to sugar (read:chocolate) as I am - so chances are, you'll be fine. I guess for me, the thing that really cemented my renewed desire was that I was so exhausted from tending the sick kidlets and husband/starting back at school after 12-mnths mat leave. It was a coping mechanism. I've gone cold turkey again though.

    Good luck! Your journey has been impressive so far - I'm sure the best is still to come. :)

    ReplyDelete