Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Birthday relaxing

OK, I had my birthday on Tuesday the 9th August. 42 now! I always celebrate with Birthday Eve, Birthday and then Birthday Boxing Day. Well, I have since I was in my mid 20s. So, on those 3 days, I ate what I wanted, sugary or not. Got lots of headaches so that was unpleasant. Stew was worried that I'd get re-addicted but so far, so good.

Well...since then, I have had cake twice. Once, it was 9 days after my birthday and somebody handed me a small piece of birthday cake and said to eat it. I did, as I thought, "Welll, maybe I can do the party food for parties". Immediately got a sugar headache. 3 days later, somebody sang Happy Birthday to a few of us who were having our b'days in August and so it was actually a cake for me. This time, I felt pressured to eat it. Again, got an immediate headache. When I have honey on my crumpets, once a month (been doing this for about 2 months now), I don't get the headaches.

This was interesting. Should I have refused the cakes? Probably. Am not craving chocolate or anything so don't think I'm addicted but still...

Still loving avocados, plain yogurt with pear/cinnamon/LSA etc, tuna/mayo/egg salads etc So good and healthy. For someone who used to live for peanut butter and honey sandwiches, am now just enjoying plain peanut butter on its own. (Mind you, it's a Sweet Poison friendly one - Sanitarium's no added sugar or salt, smooth) Loving it overall.

Sure, it was nice to relax for a few days but happy to eat well the rest of the time. Haven't eaten anything sweet at playgroups etc since so the only 'mishaps' have been those two cake slices. Next planned relaxed sugary eating is Christmas where I hope to have a big slice of my m-in-law's pavlova, Christmas pudding etc Maybe the odd 'Party food for parties' before that but only very rarely.

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes get headaches from sugar too but if I eat some protein before it, I don't. Maybe you could try that at christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! and well-done on being able to not get re-addicted. I'm impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must remember that, Moo, for Christmas!
    Well, not re-addicted, as such, but I have thought about it, and been affected by it more since those 3 days. Last night, I went to Life Group and I could smell a chocolate cake from the kitchen, so tantalisingly. Didn't eat any but was tempted!

    ReplyDelete